Thursday, November 8, 2012

HGTV Next Design Star

Hi, my name is Alicia and I have a control problem when it comes to decorating.  This includes kids rooms.  Never has this been a problem.  That is until my oldest decided to become a HGTV lovin', room designing monster :)  Jadyn decided some tweaking needed to be done in her bedroom (that she begrudgingly  lovingly shares with Rylee).

Armed with a ruler and paper in hand, the girl drew to scale (the best she could at 10 years old) her room and a new furniture layout.

With mommies muscles and Jadyn's ideas, we rearranged her room.


With a sewing machine, printer and the help of pinterest, we also DIY'd a few new pieces to decorate with.


With the help of Noonie and Poppies old furniture, Daddy's saw and mommy's paintbrush, we also added a new piece of furniture to the room.  For the dresser, I gave a homemade chalk paint recipe a go.  Surprisingly easy!  According to a friend who has used the Annie Sloan paint numerous times, the finish is very, very similar.  Just a HECK of a lot cheaper :)  Someday soon (I hope) I plan to repaint all the furniture in the room with it.  The dresser was well loved and well used resulting in some cracking and peeling on the sides.  I had the bright idea of covering the sides of the dresser with beadboard (which we already had on hand).  Turned out great!

Forgot the complete before photo.  This is once the beadboard was added


Not promising to hand over all rights to their room decor choices just yet, but Jadyn's taste/opinions are starting to make it a bit easier ;)

Oh, she also redesigned my room.  "Just for fun", she said.  The entire room was a swimming pool.  With a bridge leading you to the island where the bed was.  That is our next project....yeah, probably not.


4 comments:

  1. I love your bedroom idea that J created!! That's awesome!! Their bedroom turned out great!! I still love that picture of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job Jadyn. I'll hire you to come redecorate my entire house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To:Mrs.Bobbie
    I very much will if needed (for $2 an hour ). :)
    Love,
    Jadyn
    To: Aunt Staci
    Thank you very much about my bedroom idea.
    Love,
    Jadyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jadyn: ok, sounds like a plan. :). You can start with my green living room.

    ReplyDelete