I swear I brainstormed so many different bed options (mainly building this one from Ana White's plans). Instead I opted for a cheap (ie FREE) option by repairing and painting on old white Robin bed from Ikea that used to be a daybed in our playroom in a navy blue. I so wish I had before pictures and well as during pictures. With very skeptical looks from Rusty, I decided to repair this one all by myself. Apparently too many monkeys jumping on this bed over this years had caused the railing/screws for the famous ikea slat system to pull out. Faux wood isn't the easiest to repair :) In the end I did it! No joke it took me 5 days though. Probably 4 days longer than it would have taken Rusty. I am proud, though, none the less.
One of the most exciting things about this transition is the use of the duvet I made for him when I made his crib bedding. I was IN LOVE with the fabric from Hobby Lobby 4 years ago (before we even knew if was a boy!) and since they were clearancing it, it was purchase now in case of boy or miss out if it was a boy. The cheapskate in me did NOT win this time. Purchased all they had. Made a crib skirt and a bumper for the crib and a full size duvet for later. Yes, I banked on loving this thing for a long time. What a win! I still, nearly 4 years later, LOVE LOVE LOVE this fabric. So versatile for a boy room for sure!
Colton is very proud of his bed telling me it is bigger bigger bigger like my bed. Any concerns of him falling off are gone. Sleeps like a champ in the center of the bed.
Something I never anticipated was seeing a lamp and a picture frame (albeit a frame with no picture yet) on a nightstand next to his bed would make him seem so much older.
Ignore the terrible pictures. So much natural light comes through his windows (even with the blinds down) it makes an amateurs job difficult :)